Search This Blog

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Dining With The Wiederkehrs

My wife and I recently made a stop at the Wiederkehr Wine Village in Altus, AR.  We were told by so many taht this was a must do...so we did.  I had tasted the wine they produce several years ago, and that should have been my first clue to stay away.  If you like your wine to taste like it was poured straight from that "big red pitcher of Kool-Aid man", this is the place for you.  So sweet. 

Now on to the real reason for this post...the food.  We arrived to a interesting little restruant that was dug into the side of a hill.  Definalty a cool looking place.  Becky, my wife, and I ordered 2 different types of wine, so you can understand my confusion when our waitress arrived and poured each of us a glass from the same bottle.  I naturally thought we had arrived at some sort of magical resturaunt.  In order to remedy the blunder, our waitress poured half the mispoured wine back in the bottle, and the other half she poured down her throat.  It was not too long after that, we decided that she had done this more than once this day.  My wife ordered a cheese and fruit platter to go with the wines.  A good idea we thought.  It arrived and showed itself to be a bowl of mixed melon, a wedged orange and apple, a few grapes, and fresh sliced cheese right out of the Kraft package.  Thankfully they had removed the plastic wrapping. 

Now it gets interesting.  I ordered the roasted chicken and Becky ordered the smoked pork tenderloin.  Our meals arrived and to our surprise my wife had been served pork chops, which also appeared on the menu.  When I questioned our waitress as to why she had pork chops when she had ordered the pork tenderloin, I was told that she indeed had the pork loin in front of her.  I replied that no in fact the were most definitely pork chops, and in fact there were bones to prove the "choppedness" of the pork.  This is when I learned something that I had never know in all my years of cooking.  Our waitress told me that pork chops and pork tenderloin were one and the same.  After I picked my jaw up off the floor, I tried to explain the difference to our partially intoxicated waitress, who proceeded to argue with me.  In any event, Becky tried the chops, and did not like them so she order another dish.  It was then that the waitress took the chops back to the kitchen and told the "chef" all about me.  I know this because she was unable to control the volume of her voice.  It should come as no surprise that my chicken was as dry as the Sahara, and Becky's second entree was just as bad as the first.  We "ate" our meal, paid the full un-discounted bill, and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment